The National Blood Transfusion Committee (NBTC) promotes good transfusion practice by providing information and advice to hospitals and blood services. The work of the committee also includes:
- consulting with national groups in developing best practice guidelines
- reviewing the performance of the transfusion services provided by the NHS Blood and Transplant service
- identifying service development needs
- providing patient information and seeking patients’ opinions
- giving advice to the Chief Medical Officer on transfusion practice
- providing information on education and training on blood transfusion.